Monday, July 23, 2012

So I have to say that I have really, really enjoyed running during my stay here in Pullman, WA. I was a little worried about this trip because no-one I talked to who has visited or lived in this area had anything particularly glowing to say about it. Here's what I had heard about Pullman before I saw it myself:
  • It's boring.
  • It's small.
  • It's not that pretty. 
  • I'm sorry you have to go there.
You can see why I was hesitant.

BUT! As it turns out, it is a runner's dream. It has an extensive and well maintained trail system, and the weather is generally not too warm (though we did have a couple of hot days while I was here). And although it lacks the mountainy ruggedness of western Washington, it's very pretty: Pullman is surrounded by miles and miles of rolling fields that come in a variety of colors depending on crop type.

I've been running primarily on the Bill Chipman trail, which runs for 7-8 miles between Pullman and Moscow (Mosc-OH, apparently - not like the city in Russia), Idaho. As far as I can tell, some people just use their bikes to commute from one to the other. I'm so jealous of that.

Other things I like about Pullman and Moscow and this area:

  • Great transportation options (like shuttles between here and Spokane, or here and Seattle, plus a city bus route)
  • Moscow Food Co-op - so stupendously awesome
  • Gem State Crystals - also in Moscow. I bought my son a collection of treasures here: some agate, some labradorite, and some staurolite. These are the types of presents you get when both your parents are geologists. ;-)
A few photos of and from the Bill Chipman trail:





Yeah. It was pretty great. The rest of the trip was productive, even fun, but it's the running that helps me stay on track and grounded - and this was a wonderful place to run.

No comments:

Post a Comment