Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Labwork and a long run in the works

I'm currently at a different university in a different city doing labwork. One thing I like about my advisor is that he gives his students many opportunities to travel, work in various labs, and meet a variety of people in my field. Honestly, I really didn't want to go on this particular trip - I've been on the road a lot lately, and I'd love a solid chunk of time at home with my little family - but now that I'm here, I'm enjoying it well enough.


Here's a picture of what my labwork looks like. It's column chemistry, basically, meaning that you follow a very structured chemical recipe and run very specific amounts of liquids through this special resin than hangs on to different ions for different amounts of time depending on the type of acid you... Oh wait. I think this is getting potentially boring (though I think it's exciting... But then again, I think anything pertaining to volcanic rocks is exciting...)

I like the lab. It's quiet. Everything is tidy and organized and well-labeled. Usually there are only one or two other people around. Labs are so much better than, say, shopping malls or the grocery store that I walked into and right back out of the other day just because the person to space ratio seemed a little too high.

Moving on.

One of the best things about this town is that it has an extensive trail system.


And that's exactly where I'm planning to go as soon as I get out of the lab today. I'm hoping to get a good 8 miles in. With scenery like this, it's hard to not have a great run:



No comments:

Post a Comment