Friday, July 20, 2012

Comfort food

I like to travel and see new places, but I get easily overwhelmed by the novelty and unfamiliarity of everything. Eating well, running, getting enough sleep, and having time to myself all help me deal with that (with varying degrees of success). On this trip, my sleep hasn't been great (the dorm I'm staying in has no AC, and it's been over 90 degrees the past few days) nor have I had a lot of alone time (I'm sharing the dorm space with two other women - which is actually a good thing, as discussed below).

BUT! I'm doing pretty well in the running and food departments. First, the food. Finding stuff I can eat is clearly not difficult here:



One of my roommates is from India. She's here for six months to study plant biology. She is a vegetarian and a wonderful cook. One night she made me veggie pakora: vegetables dredged in chickpea flour and fried:



It was so easy and crunchy and delicious. I'm definitely making this when I get home.


I also splurged on a chocolate milkshake. It was made with dairy milk (organic, from local cows, and the money from this business goes right back into care of said cows). It was delicious. I want to eat vegan, but I don't think I need to be particularly militant about it if there's a situation where having non-vegan food offers a unique opportunity and/or benefit. I guess for me, it doesn't have to be all or nothing - especially when I'm on the road.

Next time: comfort running! I'm hoping to do a short run tonight and take some pictures along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment