Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday Five: Prepping for Italy edition!

1. I'm going to Italy tomorrow! I'll be there for a week, participating in a conference/workshop a couple hours north of Rome. I'm nervous about traveling, not knowing the language (though I can count from zero to twenty in Italian!), and the potential for coming across as a total dunce at this workshop, but mostly I'm just excited. September in Italy is supposed to be beautiful, and made all the more beautiful by Italian wine and Italian coffee.

2. This week's mileage:
Sunday: 15 miles (see previous post)
Tuesday: 5 miles
Wednesday: Xtend Barre class
Thursday: 4 miles
Friday (today!): 13 miles! I stayed home, packed, and went on the 13-miler with my husband. The weather was sunny and cool, and my legs felt good for most of it. I'm bringing my running attire to Italy and will go out for a jog if I have time. But if not, at least I completed this week's long run, and hopefully I can get right back into the swing of my marathon-prep schedule when I return.

I'm not sure I've ever run 37 miles in less than 6 days before!

3. I went shopping today for travel snacks, and I found THESE. At TARGET! 



Nutritionally-complete (well, mostly), gluten-free, vegan travel snacks. I never thought I'd see the day. True, I don't like the amount of packaging these require, but there's some measure of comfort in knowing that even though I'll be spending a total of >15 hours in flying metal sardine cans, at least I'll have snacks that I can eat and that taste good.

4. I hate packing. I do it a lot and it never gets any easier. I'm trying to stuff everything into a backpack and a small suitcase. Should be totally doable, but somehow I'm struggling.

5. I am grateful for:

-awesome family
-awesome friends
-awesome therapy guy
-awesome advisor
-health - especially that I am healthy enough to run
-pharmaceuticals that work, and that I have been feeling like a normal, relatively happy person lately (knock on wood)
-the ability to grow and to gain new insights, even from familiar experiences
-wine
-hummus
-travel opportunities
-blogs (I love reading blogs! My guilty pleasure.)
-Blue jeans
-New episodes of Guiliana and Bill on Netflix

No comments:

Post a Comment