Thursday, January 6, 2011

Self-perceived limits

Last night I was watching "I Used To Be Fat" on MTV (surely there are other 32-year-old women who still watch MTV?). A teenager lost something like 90 pounds in three months. It was amazing. What was even more amazing than the weight loss was seeing her realize that her endurance and stamina far exceeded her own expectations. Once she figured out just how much she could push herself, she was on the fast track to health.

I thought of that today at school/work because I had to accomplish a task I didn't know how to do. I felt pretty stressed out about it, actually, and doubtful that I could do it. But I asked for help, dove in, and guess what? It was actually quite simple. I always worry that I'm not "good enough" to achieve my goals, but that's not true. I simply have to overcome my mental hurdles. Sometimes I need to ignore the self-commentary.

Today's workout: This evening I ran four miles on the treadmill. I felt tired and wanted to walk after one mile, but I didn't. I kept going, maintaining an incline of 2 and a speed of 5.1-5.4. When Pink's "Raise Your Glass" started playing on Pandora, my energy immediately skyrocketed - reminding me that, again, it's all mental.

Tonight's meal: My husband made a delicious vegetable and bean soup - hearty and hydrating.


I added cheese on top because I'm a cheese addict. 

Total miles today: 4 miles
Cumulative mileage: 14.2 miles

1 comment:

  1. I have SO MANY mental blocks when I get on the treadmill!! It's so frustrating. And ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete